Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Working progress

So since last post I've had my birthday, my brother and his wife, children and dog visited for two nights, I donated plasma, finally got health cover, celebrated my husbands birthday + Father's Day (Yah I was finally able to give him his work bench and tool chest!), sewn and received two deliveries of fabric. 


The first lot of fabric was scraps from thesplitstitch. It included a lot of pieces of Amy Butler's Love and Soul Blossom Collections. I've been wanting a sample of quite a few of these (or pretty much anything Amy Butler!) and I'm so happy to see the real colours. The monitor/photos really doesn't do justice to some of them. Amy Butler's Love Sandlewood Turquoise for one, on the monitor it looks very acidic, but up close and personal, it's as lovely as I hoped it was going to be. The same goes for Love Bliss Bouquet Teal.

The second lot of fabric from beyondweddings, I thought would never get here (Due to postal services, not the supplier). Then it arrived yesterday. As alway, I went out to the mail box hoping it would be there, but then saying to myself, before I open it, it wont be there. That seems to work, because it was there! I'm not sure if I let out my excitement at the mailbox, but I do know when I get back into the house I let out a squeal of excitement and said 'My fabric is here, my fabric is her!'. Sometimes I sing "I'm so excited!"
So here are some pics of of the fabulous 2 yards of Amy Butler Lotus Wall Flower in Cherry that I bought especially for the back of my It's a Hoot Quilt. 



I do have to say again, the monitor/photo, doesn't do this justice. It looks white and red, it's actually more a off white/beige and (cherry is not a very descriptive colour, because it makes me think of deep red cherries, this is more a glazed cherry) a pinky red. That's my best shot of describing it. With these colours it almost has a natural look to it. I love it!

Next is some pictures of my It's a Hoot quilt top, it's a working progress.



I keep going back and forth of how I'm going to quilt it. I bought the Amy Butler Lotus Wall Flower in Cherry, because I thought that i could quilt around the pattern. I'm thinking this will take a long time to do by hand. I have also thought about quilting the Wall Flower pattern on just the white bits of the quilt top. Then I thought maybe just quilt 1/4" out from the lines of the quilt top. Originally I wanted to do a meandering continuous stitch or something really different like a tree and other things till it was quilted all over. However I think at this point of my life (having young two children at home), I don't have the patience or inclination to take on such a huge task.
Isn't enough I'm doing it by hand! That last statement is for myself. I would really love to be more artistic, but I also have to do this quilt and move on, back to making things for my Etsy store.
So if you have an opinion on quilting this, I'd love to hear it.

This is one more thing I have been doing since my last post that I wished to tell you a about. A couple of nights ago I was struck with a epiphany. A way for me to give back a little to the sewing community or future sewing community, what ever the case may be. I'm still working on it at the moment, but I hope to have something for you soon. So stay tuned.

As I write this post, my youngest son (he doesn't talk yet), came up to me and tapped me to get my attention and then pointed towards the hall, so I followed him (what is it Lassie, has Timmy fallen down the well, lol). He stops at the door to his room, so I opened it, we go inside and he walks up to his change table and stops. He wanted me to change his bum! I think that is just SO clever of him!
I better go now, but keep a look out for my next post.

No comments: